Friday, October 2, 2009

Comments about other people looking somewhat less stupid...

My comment for Amber:
Nice post, I found it really insightful. I feel like you really captured your feelings about watching your video, and most people probably empathize with you.

Basically, Watching the video was a really weird experience for you. You feel like it's not really you, since that person doesn't look like they were having the same experience that you were. However, this doesn't tarnish your feelings that technology can be really useful and even necessary for some things.

I think that most people probably felt the same way you did about the video seeming like another person. I know that whenever I see myself on camera or even in photos I feel like it's not really me, because it doesn't make sense to me that an image of a person I can see from the outside can be me on the inside. With DRDs, where our internal thoughts are carried over into an entirely separate world and skip over our bodies completely, the contrast is even more striking.

I thought your post was interesting overall. One more thing that you might do is talk about the effects of these issues on others (within those you know or in society) a bit more, but really your post wasn't any worse off without it.

One interesting thing that you brought up was how in the future kids will be using technology because it's always improving. I often think about the concept that really, no matter how much some people dislike it, the ones making the machines are going to keep making them. Technology is going to happen, even if some people oppose it.

I enjoyed your post, and I look forward to reading more from you!

Remy

My comment for Andrew:
Andrew,

Nice post. I think that your post goes with your video really well and helps me understand what's going on in it.

Basically, you weren't that absorbed in the whole project that much, or any one particular thing that you were doing. You also don't care how much time people spend using DRDs, but know that if they spent forever on it no one would get anything done.

Something interesting that I noticed in your video that I don't think most people did was that you were multitasking. We talk a lot about being totally absorbed in a topic, but your video shows that it can work the other way too: Digitalization lets you easily do homework, listen to music, talk to friends, and whatever else you were doing on the computer, all at once.

The only thing that I saw a little out of place here was that you were interacting with people and not just the DRDs, but on the other hand that's kind of a good thing because it introduces the whole concept of multitasking.

That whole concept of being able to multitask isn't really mentioned as much in association with DRDs as much as I think it should. To me it seems like kind of a hidden perk--on one hand it's destroying our sense of focus, but on the other it's allowing us to participate in more activities at once.

Thanks, I look forward to reading more from you!

Remy S.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment